Tuesday 11 February 2014

Thrall (Daughters of Lilith #1) by Jennifer Quintenz


MILD SPOILERS!



3.5 Stars

Date Released: 16th May 2012
Pages: 281
Author: Jennifer Quintenz
Blurb: Braedyn is a normal girl just trying to survive high school with her two devoted friends, Royal and Cassie. Together they’re doing a pretty good job of shrugging off the slings and arrows cast their way by the popular crowd when a new boy, Lucas, moves into the house next door. Suddenly Braedyn finds herself falling in love for the first time.

But as her sixteenth birthday approaches, Braedyn discovers humankind is at war with the Lilitu, an ancient race of enticing demons that prey on human souls. Her father is a member of the Guard fighting against the Lilitu - and so are the new neighbors, including her crush, Lucas.

As her world starts to unravel at the seams, Braedyn learns the right answers aren’t always clear or easy. And as for “good” and “evil” – it all depends on how we choose to act.

Inspired by the ancient Mesopotamian myths of Lilith and her offspring, Thrall explores first love, strong friendships, and taking on adult responsibilities against the backdrop of powerful supernatural forces and life-and-death stakes


*I was given a copy of this book on kindle in return for an honest review*

Thrall is just what you need if you are craving a new, unique, paranormal story with a likable main character, but also a plot filled with equal parts romance and kick-ass action.

I must admit, there are so many YA paranormal books now, that I struggle to find a story that is interesting and unique. However, I found Thrall to be a breath of fresh air - in fact it was my first time reading a succubi-related book, and I found it to be a pleasant experience.

Let's start on the main character; Braedyn.
I really appreciated that Braedyn wasn't one of those stupid, gullible characters that believed everything that they were told - I mean, let's face it, if someone came up to you and told you that demons were real, what would you think? That they were off their rocker. If you actually saw the demons? Well... maybe they slipped you something... So Braeyden had a completely normal what-the-hell response, and from then on I loved her.
Don't get me wrong, she was a bit of an idiot sometimes too. You know that you're reading a good book, if when a character does something embarrassing, it just makes you want to shrivel up and die. I also found it quite amusing when Braeyden turned out to be a better fighter than Lucas - she was a nice change to the usual Mary-Sue- type characters who just rely on the love interest all the time.

The love interest; Lucas.
Lucas was the main problem that I had with Thrall - I just didn't like his character very much, and I thought that Braeyden deserved better... He just didn't stand out to me, unlike many of the other characters, and I didn't understand his and Braeyden's relationship. Let's just say that I hope there is another love interest in the second book, Incubus.

A character I loved; Gretchen.
I must admit that I hated Lucas' (sort of) sister at the start of the book. She was mean and just plain rude to Braeyden. But over the course of Thrall, I learned to love her, and she actually turned out to be really cool (another female character who can fight brilliantly!).

Overall, Thrall is definitly worth a read if you enjoy YA Paranormal Romance books, with main characters that can actually kick butt!

By Katherine.  

No comments:

Post a Comment